Welcome to OffBeat, the rumor-free celebrity blog dedicated to the careers of those celebrities who rarely make headlines. Here, we embrace the independent film, the overlooked gem, and the significant performances that go unnoticed.

We pride ourselves on being straight news and opinion. You won't find gossip here. No who's-dating-who; no paparazzi photos. We're here to discuss the actors and their work. No spin, no lies.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thanks to the Academy: The Duck Finally Gets His Day

The 61st annual Emmy Awards took place this past Sunday evening. I sat down for what I figured would be a typical broadcast. The host (this time the hilarious Neil Patrick Harris) would produce the typical witty banter, 30 Rock would win most of the major awards, Mad Men would win everything else, The Daily Show would win variety, my personal pick for Supporting Actor in a Comedy would once again be snubbed, and I would fall asleep by the end of the evening.

I was right about all of that except for one thing.

That's right, everyone. Jon Cryer of the Two and a Half Men fame finally claimed victory after four years of nominations and four years of defeat.

I know what you're thinking.

Is that the same Jon Cryer that was once a budding young star? Isn't he the charismatic nerd who lost the girl in Pretty in Pink? Isn't he the guy who, in the mid-nineties, starred in a string of failed sitcoms?

Yes, folks. The guy had a rough road, but has been steadily perfecting his comedic timing and general awesomeness since 2003, when he was cast to play opposite Charlie Sheen in the raunchy CBS comedy Two and a Half Men.

And so here we are. He's been nominated for four years and he's finally scored the gold. So what does our favorite Duck have to say about this?

"I used to think that awards were just shallow tokens of momentary popularity, but now, I realize they are the only true measure of a person's worth as a human being."

Self depricating, hilarious, and absolutely charming, Jon Cryer's acceptance speech was arguably among the best of the evening. The man was obviously very gracious and shocked by his own win.

And so were the naysayers.

I really was shocked and appalled (ok, not so much) by the amount of backlash against Cryer's win. The majority of the trash talk seems to have come from fans of Cryer's competitor, How I Met Your Mother's Neil Patrick Harris. Surely, the masses assumed, now that Jeremy Piven (Entourage) has left the category, it will be Neil's year to claim gold. In fact, even I figured that was exactly how it was going to play out.

Over the past few days, I have heard Mr. Cryer referred to as many things, including but not limited to:

1. Talentless hack
2. Annoying
3. Whiny
4. Not inclined to good fashion

I only agree with number four, and I will explain exactly why Mr. Cryer deserves his award and why all of the rest of you are, in my oh-so-humble opinion, mistaken:

1. Jon Cryer plays a sometimes unlikable character. That character is prone to being annoying and whiny. The reason that many people find him annoying and whiny is because he's doing such a good job in that role. It's called acting, people. Isn't that what he won for? If his character was a carbon copy of himself, he wouldn't be heralded with such a prestigious honor.

2. The man is 44-years-old. That is not old by any stretch of the imagination, but in show business, if you haven't made a name for yourself by the time you're in your mid-forties, it's unlikely that it's going to happen. Jon Cryer is talented and deserves his moment of glory just as much as anyone else. Neil Patrick Harris is an excellent actor. How I Met Your Mother would not be what it is without him. But the dude is just starting to blow up. He has a long and prosperous career in front of him. Jon Cryer might not have that (though I wish only good things for him). Therefore, Jon Cryer probably has less overall chances of being nominated for awards in the future than Neil.

3. He's really the only thing that keeps Two and a Half Men going. It's a funny show, don't get me wrong, but its best days are behind it. Seven seasons in comedy years is like 87 in human years. Charlie Sheen is a good "straight man," but he couldn't balance the show and maintain it's demographic if he had anyone other than Jon Cryer to play off of.

4. He's adorable. Look at him in that cute little sweater vest. He's such a cute nerd. And all cute nerds, even ducks, deserve their day.

3 comments:

  1. I think nerds are totally hot! Cool post

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blogging. Ha, everywhere I go Kate is there. That is because I look who my followers are following and tonight I've scanned her quite large bloglist...it's taking some time. Anyway, this is one of my faves.
    plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kate.
    There's something so hot about nerds, it's actually funny!

    ReplyDelete